If you have been injured in a motor vehicle accident you may be entitled to claim compensation from the CTP insurer of the vehicle at fault. Being involved in a “motor vehicle accident” covers many scenarios, not just the standard road accident. You may be entitled to compensation as a result of any of the following:

  • A collision as a driver or passenger
  • A collision involving a motorcycle or bicycle
  • As a result of an accident due to potholes or road defects
  • As a result of an accident involving a bus, train, boat or truck
  • A collision involving a pedestrian, including a hit and run
  • A collision involving a forklift (if on a road or road related area)
  • As a result of witnessing a fatal accident

You may be entitled to compensation even where you are partly to blame for the accident.

Injured claimants are entitled to claim damages for injuries sustained in a motor vehicle accident under the following categories:

  • Pain and Suffering (non-economic loss)
  • Economic Loss, including loss of wages (past and future)
  • Loss of Superannuation benefits
  • Treatment expenses (past and future)
  • Domestic assistance, including assistance provided gratuitously (past and future)
  • Home modifications
  • Aides and Equipment
  • Funds Management

Motor Accident claims are governed by the Motor Accidents Compensation Act 1999, and the current system is somewhat complicated and technical. There are time limits in relation to many things including reporting the matter to police, lodging Claim Forms etc. Please contact us if you would like advice about a potential Motor Accident claim. It is important to obtain legal advice promptly so as to comply with all relevant time limits.